Saturday, October 12, 2013

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon

The Night Before


Today I am excited to be participating in my first ever Read-a-thon! :D

It's 6am here in Texas, the hubby is still sound asleep beside me, but I am awake, already showered, and ready to get my reading on!
My husband is participating as well, but requested that I allow him to sleep until the last minute.

All throughout the day I will be making posts here, on our progress!
I will also be taking some fun footage through-out the day and post it sometime next week!

The read-a-thon we are participating in today is called Dewey's Read-a-Thon and it is going to last for 24 hours!
Yes, you heard me right, 24 hours! Now, Andrew and I will PROBABLY not make it a solid 24 hours without breaks and cat naps, but we will still be striving to read as much as possible, and participating in mini-challenges throughout the day.

You can also follow Andrew and his adventures!!


My personal goal is to read at least 700 pages in the next 24 hours! Though, 1,000 would be optimal.
Wish us luck! And for those of you who are participating, happy reading!'

<3 Amanda










First Hour
7:00am


Stack for the day!

1. Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
2. Matched by Ally Condie
3. The Eye of Minds by James Dashner
4. The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
5. The Dead by Charlie Higson
6. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
7. The Ghosts of Kerfol by Deborah Noyes
8. The Colossus Rises by Peter Lerangis
9. The Tales of Beeddle the Bard by JK Rowling
10. Angels and Demons by Dan Brown




1. What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
I am in Texas!

2. Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
I am looking forward to finishing Clockwork Princess!!!

3. Which snack are you most looking forward to?
Mmmm Peanut buttercup ice cream!!

4. Tell us a little something about yourself!
My name is Amanda. I am 23, and from Texas! I have been married for a year and a half and my husband Andrew will be participating today as well! (if he ever wakes up) I am a BookTuber, Whovian and a Nerdfighter!

5. If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what's one thing you'll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
This is my first time! :) I am excited to meet people in this community!!



<3 Amanda








Third Hour
9:00am

Two hours down.

Status Update!!

Me: one book finished. The Tales of Beedle the Bard by: JK Rowling (102 pages)

Husband: Still asleep. =/

But that's ok. Moving on to Clockwork Princess! :)









Fourth Hour
10am 
Three hours down!
Andrew is now awake and reading! :) It's going to be a good day!

Andrew on page 30: Of Mice and Men


Amanda on page 283: Clockwork Princess


Plus, doughnuts! :) 



This hour's challenge:




My attempt at blackout poetry 



<3 amanda









Sixth Hour
Noon


5 hours complete! Enjoying the challenges.

Do we look sleep deprived already?

This hour's challenge!

My MadLib created for a read-a-thon challenge!
Original: "That's alright." He plucked gently at the strings with his fingertips, which produced a soft, vibrant noise. "This is pizzizato-- the first thing my father taught me how to do when he showed me the violin. It reminds me of being a child." (From Clockwork Princess)

MadLibed Version:
"That's alright." He cooked gently at the rhinoceros with his leg, which produced a soft, funny noise.
"This is pizzicato-- the first thing my George Clooney taught me how to do when he showed me the Moon. It reminds me of being a iPad."












Twelfth Hour
6:00pm



I'm back!!!
Sleep caught up to me, and I got busy with real life things...
:( but thats ok. It's not too late to get back on the horse!


Starting back up with this baby!















Thirteenth Hour
7:00pm
Update:
Amanda 183 pages read
Andrew 253 pages read

Mini Challenge:

Best book of the reading year- Divergent by Veronica Roth

Best Main Character of the Year- Hazel from A Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Best Author of the Year- Cassandra Clare the writer of the Mortal Instruments and the Infernal Devices









Fourteenth Hour
8:00pm


Andrew abandoned me!!! It's just me now.
And this cutie!


I don't need Andrew anymore! :P I have a new reading partner!

Andrew's total: 397 pages read today
Amanda's total: 315 pages read thus far









Fifteenth Hour
9:00pm






Switched to audio book to give my eyes some rest.




Keep on reading guys!! :) 











Sixteenth Hour
10:00pm


I am bout to take a break to eat some food.
It's 10pm here in TX and I'm still reading! 
Though, I am unsure if I will make my 700 pages read at the pace I am moving. =P

Reading done thus far

The Tales of Beedle the Bard: pages 1-107
Clockwork Princess: pages 257-332 (75)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: pages 1- 43


225 pages!











Seventeenth Hour
11:00pm

and the distractions continue!!

Created a meme for a mini challenge! :)

Oh Ryan, how sweet of you! ;)











Eighteenth Hour
Midnight

More distractions! Here is my attempt on book jenga! 
I think I lost. :(
Real conversation.
(I was building book jenga, books fall everywhere with a big bang!
My husband rushes in the room)

Andrew: Are you okay?!?!
Me: (sheepishly) yes...?
Andrew: What on Earth are you doing??
Me: Playing book jenga...
Andrew: Are you aware people are trying to sleep?
Me: Yeah.... Sorry.... It just looked fun...




In other news, my second reading partner abandoned me!
:( 


Looks like it's coffee time!!!


Still reading Clockwork Princess, and OH, man is it good!!!
:) 
Going to have to take a short break to edit my video for tomorrows Subscribe Sunday! 

 GO TEAM TIGER!!!!











Nineteenth Hour
1:00am


Hour 19 Mini-Challenge
Show it of 2.0
This is my favorite book on my shelf. 
It was one of the first gifts my husband (then boyfriend) ever gave me. Isn't it beautiful!!!





GO TEAM TIGER!!!! <3











Twentieth Hour
2:00am

Only 4 hours left!!!

Here is an Update!
The Tales of Beedle the Bard: pages 1-107
Clockwork Princess: pages 257- 436 (179)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: pages 1- 43

329 pages! 


Not as many as I hoped for, but the nap monster got me around hour 10. :( 


Looks like Abbie is a bit too sleepy for this Read-a-Thon.

I'm switching over to The darkest Minds.
Maybe it'lol wake me up! 

















Twenty-first Hour
3:00am


Mini Challenge. Use Items around the house to represent a book title! :) 


Status Update:

The Tales of Beeble the Bard: pages 1-107
Clockwork Princess: pages 257- 436 (179)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: Pages 1-43
The Darkest Minds: pages 1-55


Total 384 pages read


Last hour had me too distracted with social media! 
Who am I kidding... I've been too distracted this whole time!

For the next hour I will be off the web completely!

See ya'll in an hour!! 
<3 Amanda 

GO TEAM TIGER!














Twenty-Second Hour
4:00am


Hey people! I'm still alive!
People are fading fast. Only 3 hours left! I shalt not give up now!

Update:
The Tales of Beedle the Bard: pages 1-107
Clockwork Princess: pages 257-436 (179)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: pages 1-58
The Darkest Minds: Pages 1-120

Total 464 pages read















Twenty-Third Hour
5:00am


Time for another mini challenge. This time chose a song to go along with the book you are reading.
I'm finishing up Clockwork Princess.
and to go along with Tessa's clockwork angel my song is "Clockwork Angels" by Rush
I don't feel like there is much more of an explanation needed






Well this hour I am still hitting it hard! 2 hours to go!!! 
<3











Thenty-Fourth Hour
6:00am

Well, our 24 hours is coming to a close. (Thank God! My eyelids are so stinking heavy!)

Last mini challenge questionnaire

  1. Which hour was most daunting for you? Honestly, probably this last!!!
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? I think breezing through the Percy Jackson books could be fun! they are all pretty short! :)
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Well, I will have new personal goals, but other than that I thought it was wonderful!!!
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? The cheerleaders where so wonderful! I know I was super bored when I got my first 'cheer' it helped a lot!!
  5. How many books did you read? I bounced around a lot but I read almost all of a big one, one full small book, and portions of two others
  6. What were the names of the books you read? The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Clockwork Princess, The Darkest Minds, and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.
  7. Which book did you enjoy most? Clockwork Princess! Almost done!
  8. Which did you enjoy least? None, they were all great!
  9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? N/A
  10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? Very likely!! Unless I have another engagement in which I can' get out of. I will be a reader again!

Update:
The Tales of Beeble the Bard: pages 1-107
Clockwork Princess: pages 257- 560(303)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: Pages 1-92
The Darkest Minds: pages 1-120

Total 622 pages read

SO close to my 700 page goal! I still have 30 minutes, but I don't think my sleepy eyes will be able to move very fast.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first Read-a-Thon and I can't wait until next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment