Monday, October 21, 2013

Book Review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perk of Being a Wallflower




This book was nothing like I anticipated. I guess that's because I hadn't heard too much about the plot other than it was supposed to be a great story about making friends and surviving high school. While this is true, it ended up being a lot more, so much deeper, and so much more disturbing.

It starts out with one of Charlie's best friends having committed suicide. This leaves him with one less friend than he had (and he did't have man to start with.) The book is written as letter to an unknown person, and it is essentially inner dialogue.


The themes talked about: Suicide, date rape, underage drinking, drug use, premarital sex, bullying/harassment, hate crimes, depression, abusive relationships, self mutilation, and child molestation.
Although, I feel like all of these are important subjects that needs to be talked about, it was a very difficult read for me. I think what added to the unsettling feeling, was being inside someones head, that obviously wasn't quite right, or all there. It wasn't a pretty place to be. Also, it just seemed a bit too much for one story, in my opinion. If it were to focus on a smaller pool of problems, there would have been more time to develop into each problem. Instead, I feel like some of the "bad-themes" were skipped over too quickly, making them seem minuscule and not as important as others.

Some of the things I did like:
The over all themes of "We accept the love we think we deserve." This was very touching, and I believe it to be very true in real life.
Another being that inorder to life life, you must get out there and experience it, you can not remain a wallflower forever, or you will never truly live.

Overall, I perfered the movie to the book, because we witnessed the events taking place as an outsider, instead of seeing it all through Charlie's eyes.

Here I have my BookTalk over it. Watch it and let me know your thoughts! :)


Want the read this book? Check it out here.



Hope ya'll have a fantastic day!
<3 sharing the reading love!


No comments:

Post a Comment